Those who wish to audit a course must be accepted by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and approved by the school, department, or program offering the course. If you are wishing to audit graduate level classes you would need to be accepted through the Graduate College. Audit status must be declared at registration. Participation in class discussion and examinations are optional with the instructor. Auditors receive no course credit but are expected to attend class regularly. With departmental/school approval, a student who has audited a course may later take the course for credit. The department that offers the class will inform the student if they need to contact the instructor directly for authorization.
After the student has registered, he or she must contact the Office of the University Registrar in person by the 4th class day in the summer, or by the 12th class day in the fall or spring to declare audit status. Check the University Academic Calendar for the exact date. A student will pay the same fees as if the course were taken for credit, and the course will be entered on his or her transcript record, but the student will not receive credit for the course and it will not count toward GPA.
Senior citizens, 65 or older, may audit courses without payment of a fee if space is available. Registration is permitted just prior to the start of the semester, with reduction made by the tuition adjustment clerk, Student Business Services (JCK Administration Building 188), before registering.
Checklist for Auditing:
1. You must be accepted by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions or the Graduate College.
2. You must be approved by the school, department, or program offering the course.
3. Per Student Business Services, before registering for classes in Catsweb senior citizens, 65 or older, should contact the SBS tuition adjustment clerk in the JCK Administration Building, room 188.
4. After registering in Catsweb contact the Office of the University Registrar in person by the 4th class day in the summer, or by the 12th class day in the fall or spring to declare audit status in the JCK Administration Building, room 111.
5. Senior citizens, 65 or older, after the status of the course has been updated as an audited course, reduction is made by the tuition adjustment clerk, Student Business Services JCK Administration Building room 188.